Dear Friends and Neighbors,
I hope you had a Merry Christmas and great holiday season. It is time to shift gears as the 2014 legislative session gets underway. There are many pressing issues before us this session – jobs/economy, transportation, education, taxes/budget, health care, public safety, and many others. If you have any questions on these issues or anything else the Legislature is working on, please do not hesitate to contact me. I will do my best to keep you updated during the session.
8th District legislators telephone town hall on Thursday, Jan. 16
This Thursday, Jan. 16, 2014, Rep. Larry Haler, Sen. Sharon Brown and I will be holding a telephone town hall meeting for all 8th District citizens from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Please dial toll-free 1-800-761-6282 to participate. These forums act like a radio call-in show and are a great opportunity for you to share your concerns about important issues and provide us input about legislation before us. You will be able to participate in poll questions, ask questions over the phone, or just listen in from home. We hope you can join us.
The Week Ahead
Last session I sent you information from an internal document we receive, that informs us of important public hearings coming up in the week ahead. I know your schedules are busy, but I will continue to send you information from that document. In case you are able to drive over and sign-in (for or against a bill), and/or testify in a public hearing before the committee I want you to be informed these bills are coming before us in the House of Representatives, so you can participate to the maximum extent possible.
Note: Some of these bills listed I support, some I oppose; that is why your input and participation is so important; so we together can support good legislation and oppose bad legislation.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 16
- Concerning Drones – Public Hearing on House Bill 2178 – House Technology and Economic Development Committee (TED), HHR C @ 8:00 a.m.
- Concerning Government Surveillance – Public Hearing on House Bill 2179 – TED, HHR C @ 8:00 a.m.
- Right to Remove Online Content – Public Hearing on House Bill 2180 – TED, HHR C @ 8:00 a.m.
- Reporting Requirements on Timber Purchases – Public Hearing on House Bill 2099 – House Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee (AGNR), HHR B @ 8:00 a.m.
- Fire Damages Recovery-Public or Private Forested Lands – Public Hearing on House Bill 2103 – AGNR, HHR B @ 8:00 a.m.
- Tribal Property Tax/Leasehold Excise Tax – Public Hearing on House Bill 1287 – House Community Development, Housing and Tribal Affairs Committee (CDHT), HHR E @ 8:00 a.m.
- K-12 Dropout Prevention – Public Hearing on House Bill 1424 & House Bill 2158 – House Education Committee, HHR A @ 10:00 a.m.
- Extending Aerospace Tax Incentives to Rotorcraft – Public Hearing (HB # TBD)– House Finance Committee, HHR A @ 1:30 a.m.
- Reenacting the Rural County R&D/Mfg. Tax Incentives – Public Hearing (HB # TBD) – Finance, HHR A @ 1:30 a.m.
- Update on Implementation of the Affordable Care Act – Work Session – House Appropriations Committee, HHR A @ 3:30 p.m.
- Cost Efficiencies Study – Work Session – House Transportation Committee, HHR B @ 3:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 17
- Waiving Certain Discover Pass Penalties – Public Hearing on House Bill 2156 – House Environment Committee, HHR C @ 8:00 a.m.
- Expansion Plans to Meet Higher Education Attainment Goals – Work Session – House Higher Education Committee, HHR A @ 8:00 a.m.
- County office primary elections – Public Hearing on House Bill 2106 – House Government Operations Elections Committee, HHR E @ 8:00 a.m.
- The Urban Indian Experience – Work Session – Community Development, Housing & Tribal Affairs Committee, HHR E @ 1:30 p.m.
- Extending B&O Tax Credit for High-Tech R&D – Public Hearing on House Bill 1303 – TED, HHR C @ 1:30 a.m.
- Genetically Modified Finfish – Public Hearing on House Bill 2143 – Agriculture & Natural Resources, HHR B @ 1:30 p.m.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding any of these issues or anything else. I look forward to hearing from you this session and I hope you will be able to participate in our telephone town hall.
It is an honor and privilege to serve the 8th Legislative District and all the citizens of Washington state. Have a great Washington day!